07 janeiro 2008

Evelyn & Finn

At some bar, somewhere in Manhattan.

Her name is Evelyn Leigh. She is alone, sitting in the balcony, drinking her second martini tonight. She is all dressed up; she is wearing a cocktail black dress with her brand new shoes. Her hair is long curl brown and her eyes dark green. She has a perfect smile and her laugh is contagious. However, tonight, she is dark and twisted.

I just hope that tonight, just tonight, no one talk to me…
Finn: Excuse me, is this seat taken?
God!
Evelyn: No.
Pause.
Finn: I’m sorry. Can you tell me what time is it?
Evelyn: It is almost … FINN!
They smile to each other.
Finn: I was sitting over there and I could not believe that you were here… Long time no see, honey!
Evelyn: I, certainly, was not expecting to see you around.
Finn: I am back in town. I bought a house, near the lake. It is called ‘The Lake House’, how original, right? So, what’s new?
He sees her finger.
Finn: Is that a wedding ring?
She raises her left hand.
Evelyn: Yes, I am engaged. He proposed last week…
His smile disappears. He had a sad look at his face.
Finn: Congratulations, Eve.
Pause.
Finn: Last year, on the airplane I met a girl… It was not love at first sight, I do not believe that happens twice, you know… Her name is Francesca… I just fall in love. I ask her to marry me… She said yes. Tell me, Eve, what is his name? When is the big day?
Evelyn: Scott Healy. Autumn, I believe. Perhaps on October.
Pause.
She starts to cry.
Evelyn: Why do you left me, Finn? Why? You just walked away and no word from you for five years. Five years!! Finn, I was so in love with you…
Pause.
Evelyn: What about our dreams? Our big white house, near the lake… Remember? Our four kids playing in the garden... Our dogs, Golden and Peet... Our boat… Where we would spend the hot nights in the summer... But on 21st July, you leave and you left me a letter. A letter where you said ‘I’m sorry, I just cannot do this. Forgive me.’. Can’t you do what? Not even one phone call! Why, Finn? Explain to me…
Pause.
He takes her hand. He looks at her eyes.
Finn: Eve… I am so sorry! We were so young. I got scared. Evelyn, we were twenty years old… I have no excuse. I do not expect you to forgive me…
Pause.
Finn: Evelyn, I fall in love with you since I was ten years old… It was love at first sight, you know. You’re the first girl I ever kissed…
Evelyn: … but you don’t find your soul mate when you are ten, right?
Finn: Eve, I still love you. I love you with all my heart. I shouldn’t leave you. You are the one, honey.
Evelyn: I can’t do this.
She stands up. He grabs her arm.
They kiss.

Sem comentários: